“The building at 29 Jefferson Ave. has eight to 10 apartments, a history of violations, and lacked sprinklers and smoke detectors, authorities said.”
A four-story building packed with apartments and with reported safety violations caught fire Monday afternoon, leaving one unit in the building uninhabitable, authorities said.
The fire apparently ignited inside a large closet in the finished attic, which had two bedrooms and a bathroom, Hillcrest firefighter Chris Kear said.
Kear and Building Inspector Manny Carmona, also a firefighter, climbed several flights of smoke-filled stairs, opening doors of several rooms before finding the flames. Kear said the closet measured 8 by 12 feet and had a light.
The owner of the commercial building has been in court for lacking a certificate of occupancy and for other violations, Wren said.
Wren said the building is “one of the worse” in the village, as it lacks a sprinkler system and working smoke detectors, among other violations.”
Read the complete Journal News story here.