“U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said Wednesday he plans to stay in his position in the Trump administration.
Bharara emerged from Trump Tower after meeting with the president-elect for about an hour, saying he has agreed to remain in the job.
“We had a good meeting. I said I would absolutely consider staying on. I agreed to stay on,” Bharara said, saying Trump asked him to stay.
“I have already spoken to Sen. (Jeff) Sessions, who is, as you know, has been nominated to be the attorney general. He also asked that I stay on, and so I expect that I’ll be continuing the work at the Southern District of New York.”
Whether Bharara, who has led a crusade against Albany corruption, would stay on in a Trump administration has been a key question in New York.
Bharara, 48, has critical cases ongoing in his fight of New York corruption.
Indictments were issued last week to Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s former top aide, Joseph Percoco; former SUNY Polytechnic Institute president Alain Kaloyeros and five upstate developers.
Bharara has also convicted nearly 30 public officials on corruption charges during his tenure, including convictions against both former state legislative leaders, Dean Skelos and Sheldon Silver.”
Read the complete Journal News coverage here.