Jared Lloyd’s mom files wrongful death lawsuit against Spring Valley, rabbis and others

Jared Lloyd

“Jared Lloyd’s mother has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Spring Valley officials, two rabbis charged criminally with causing the fatal 2021 fire, and the owners of the Evergreen Court Home for Adults.

The 30-page legal action argues the village, its inspectors, and the owners and employees of the adult home, acted recklessly by knowingly allowing dangerous conditions to remain and neglecting to properly inspect or repair the Lafayette Street facility.

Lloyd, 35, the father of two young boys, died on March 23, 2021, as he and other firefighters rescued 112 adult home residents. The fire caused parts of the building to collapse on top of him as he searched for any remaining residents. Adult home resident Oliver Hueston, 72, died from the fire and other firefighters and residents suffered injuries.

Lawsuit: Jared Lloyd’s mother files wrongful death lawsuit

‘You want to see him again:’ 1 year after Evergreen Court fire, Lloyd’s loss, questions linger

Evergreen Court: Before Jared Lloyd’s death in Evergreen Court, calls to facility raised concern

Those named “caused, created dangerous, defective, unsafe and hazardous condition,” the lawsuit filed Tuesday claims.

The lawsuit, filed by attorney Charles Green in New York State Supreme Court on behalf of Lloyd’s mother, Sabrail Davenport, as an administrator of her son’s estate, seeks undisclosed financial compensation for emotional and psychological loss and punitive damages. The lawsuit names the facility’s owners, the Schoenberger family of Monsey and Lakewood, New Jersey; employees Denise Kerr and former worker Emmanual Lema; Spring Valley and two inspectors, Wayne Ballard, who then ran the building department, and Ray Canario, then an inspector and a fire chief; and Rabbi Nathaniel Sommer and his son Rabbi Aaron Sommer.

The rabbis are accused of causing the fire after using a 20-pound blow torch to cleanse the facility’s ovens and kitchen for the Passover observances. The building caught fire after they left for another Schoenberger adult facility on Prospect Street.”

Read the complete Journal News story here.